In 1945, Sydney Allard formed Allard Motors Limited to build low volume sports car for the UK and USA market. Arguably the most famous model he built was the J2. The J2 was extremely popular in the USA and had many successful results in motor racing. Only a very small number came to Australia. This example is believed to be the first J-type Allard brought into Australia by Rube Gardiner in 1950. Originally, most J2s cars were fitted with a side valve Ford V8, but this particular car had a Chrysler OHV V8 fitted in the mid-60s.
After importing the car, Rube Gardiner sold the car to Mr Stan Jones (1980 F1 Campion Alan Jones’ Father) who used it to finish second in his class in the Australian Hillclimbing Championship that year.
In 1951, Stan Jones entered the Allard with Ern Seeliger as the driver in the 1951 The Victorian Trophy Race (a 17 lap 51 mile event) and crossed the finish line in 8th position and finished 4th on handicap. (Interestingly Jones entered and drove Maybach 1 in the same race crossing the finish line in 1st position and finished 3rd on handicap.
In 1952, Stan sold the Allard to Tom Hawkes from Geelong, who raced it throughout Australia and New Zealand over the next few years with considerable success. Hawkes significantly upgraded the performance of the engine including a set of the then rare and expensive American based ARDUN high performance heads.
For hillclimbing the car was often fitted with dual rear wheels and it also gained a reputation as one of the noisiest cars racing in the country. It disappeared from prominence after the 1955 Tasmanian Trophy at Longford, where it retired after being timed at 137 mph on the straight.
It reappeared in the mid 60s with the Chrysler V8 motor (this type of engine was a factory option when the cars were built in the 1950s), after having been rebuilt by Ian McDonald. Pieces were found as far apart as Adelaide and Tasmania.
In 1978 at the inaugural return of the Geelong Speed Trials, it had a class win with a time of 14.8 seconds, driven by Rod Murphy and owned by Richard Ralph.
In the late 1990s, the car was acquired by its current owner near Geelong, who has since returned the car to its original 1950s form including fitting the rare and original type of high performance ARDUN Ford V8 engine located in America.
The Geelong Revival Motoring Festival is proud to present this fine race car as a part of the 2017 event.